Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jan. 21 -- Lisa's Musings (from a day off) and Every Day Life

I'm taking today (and tomorrow) off.

I don't take day's off very often. And, in writing this, I guess, technically, I'm working.

But writing is such a part of my Every Day Life, that I really don't consider it "work."

The original plan for today was to show my puppy in Novi. But yesterday, things started unraveling.

The friend who had planned to go with me was having a really busy week and seemed relieved when I said I was considering a change of plans for my day off.

In fact, she was downright happy not to make the trip.

Besides, I was the only one entered in my breed today, so the only real competition my puppy would face was in the Sporting Group and he's so not ready to stand and pay attention to me while all the dogs in the group are judged individually.

He's only 11 months old, after all. And I'm not sure there's enough good food on the planet or games to play (that wouldn't disrupt the other dogs in the ring), to keep him occupied for that long.

Then, there was the guilt of dumping a ton of stories on my editor on Sunday, which she kinda groaned about when I mentioned it yesterday.

So, I've changed my plans for today, which began at 8 a.m., when my puppy decided to start licking me in the face because the sun was up.

He didn't understand that this was my day off and I should be allowed to sleep until 8:30 or even 9 a.m.

Ah, but the joke will be on him tomorrow morning, when we are up EARLY, (for us anyway), because we have a 10 a.m. sharp show time and need to drive to Novi in the morning.

A friend took the day off to go with us, so, when she arrives here at 7:30 a.m., she'll be surprised to find me ready to go.

Usually when she arrives in the morning to do stuff, it's a good half-hour before I'm ready to move.

Driver will have been fed, walked, and in his "house" in the van ready to go riding. Sandwiches will have been made, coffee will already be in a carraffe, cold drinks in a cooler ... you get the idea.

So far on my day off, I've read a 150-page new book between last night and this morning. Which will be fodder, literally, for an upcoming post.

I am headed out to gas up the van -- even though it has half a tank -- just in case.

Get more money -- even though I know I have plenty for one day at a dog show.

And get my van washed. Only to drive it on roads that will just get it re-coated in what I like to call Michigan Protective Coating -- road salt and sand. Especially in the winter.

I'm not a big van washing person. I'm just very, very careful not to brush up against it when I open the doors.

And, when I get home from my errands, I'll surprise my editor with a few of the stories that I'd planned to dump on her Sunday.

All in all, I think this is going to be a great day off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]