Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jan. 20 - Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

No photos -- due to the graphic nature of my topic of the day.

Today's topic is road kill. Specifically squirrel road kill.

Not sure what's up with these seed-stealing, nut-gathering little critters, but they've had a lot of bad luck on the roadways this week.

I counted no less than 10 squished squirrels between my house in Sylvan Township and the office in Saline today.

I noted they were fatter than I usually see at this time of year. Maybe that's it.

And perhaps I should be keeping that fact to myself because if Washington gets wind of it, there's likely to be a new bill to appropriate funding for a new department of fat squirrels. Or something.

Usually, I notice more dead carcasses on the rural roadways on the weekends, and I chalk it up to heavy animal partying on Friday and Saturday nights.

So, I'm not sure what accounts for this Wednesday squirrel squish-fest.

And, where are the birds of prey?

Usually, squirrel and chipmunk are the first to be cleaned up -- apparently, they are tastier than possum or raccoon to road-kill eating predators.

So you might say something's fishy out on the western side of the county.

But I can promise you, I'm not volunteering to get to the bottom of it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]