Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jan. 12 -- Lisa's Musings on American Idol and Every Day Life

A lot of people have a love-fest with American Idol.

I don't have an opinion about it because, quite frankly, I've never watched it.

Usually, I'm covering meetings on Tuesday nights, but since I'm home, I thought I'd take a look and see what all the buzz is about.

I hadn't watched reality shows until I happened upon the first season of "Survivor."

And I guess like eating potato chips, once you break open the bag, you can't watch just one.

So began my downfall.

I like "Dancing with the Stars," then I stumbled upon "So You Think You Can Dance."

There's been "Top Chef" and "Iron Chef."

"Millionaire Matchmaker."

"Make Me a Super Model."

An absolute free fall to "Tabitha's Salon Takeover," and in my friends' opinions, my worst guilty pleasure to date "The Bachelor."

Which I've given a different name "The (rhymes with witches)."

It's a truly evil commentary on catty woman, but I can't help myself. It's like watching a train wreck. You know it's going to happen, but you can't take your eyes off it.

Everyone knows that out of all the seasons, only a few of the couples have lasted longer than five minutes after the end of the show; some not even that long.

My friends can't believe that I waste my time watching it and truth me told, neither can I.

And because I cover so many Monday night meetings, I usually only see a few episodes, but now with my new DVR, I've set it to record them all.

But before you think less of me because of my terrible TV viewing choices, even I need down time when I can empty my brain of everything logical, ethical, intelligent and politically correct.

"The Bachelor" provides me with all these opportunities.

And more.

But back to "American Idol."

It's just started, and I'm ready to flip around to find something else. But I'll see the first two hours through to the end because you never know, maybe I'll add this one to my ever-growing list of mindless TV viewing.

I can sing better than the first few contestants and I joke that my dogs have been known to howl at me when I attempt to sing.

Maybe "Idol" grows on you like a Plantar's Wart, but all I'm feeling is a headache coming on, so I you'll need to excuse me while I take two aspirin and turn down the sound.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]