Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Monday, August 9, 2010

Aug. 9 - Lisa's Musings (on corn) and Every Day Life

Moo. I feel like a corn fed heifer.

'Tis the season for all the corn on the cob any corn-loving person could eat. And I’ve certainly taken advantage of its seemingly endless bounty.

I’ve eaten yellow and white together on one ear and yellow and white individually. Each and every one of those ears has been juicy and sweet. I’ve been eating it like, well, it’s going to go out of season …

In fact, for the first time in my life, I’ve actually cooked more than I can eat so I can preserve a bunch of it (thank you cool book titled “So Easy to Preserve”) and lovingly placed it in my new freezer.

Two bags so far, and I can’t wait until it’s cold and yucky and dreary and I can grab a bag, warm it up and savor it -- without having to pay a premium price to someone else who thought of someone like me who’d be willing to pay for it at the farmers’ market.

I did that last year.

So, in the new freezer thus far are raspberries, corn and blueberries. And a bunch of dog food.

But on the human side, I plan to freeze more raspberries, blueberries and peaches, too. Maybe even some melon, but I’ll have to figure out how to do the melons and the peaches first.

And, yeah, I’m sure I’ll have to share some with the dogs because they like all kinds of fruit as much as I do.

But not the corn.

I tried that once, and well, let’s just say they don’t digest it very well.

I love corn and melon and raspberry and blueberry season.

And new shoes. But I'll tell you about those tomorrow.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]