Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Aug. 4 - Lisa's Musings (on The Day After) and Every Day Life

Last week, I lived through a Chocolate hangover after judging the Youth 4-H Creative Chocolate Chip Contest; this week, it's Primary Election Day hangover.

Actually, I think the chocolate recovery took longer.

Last night's election was a snap for me -- well, except for waiting on the final numbers. I'd spoken to the must-have candidates, who knew if they'd won or lost early on, because they had people at all the precincts.

The problem was no one had all of the candidate's numbers -- or if they did, they weren't giving them to me, so I was forced to wait on the county clerk's office.

I had written the story leaving blanks where the numbers needed to go, while the county took what seemed like forever to get the results up online. In fact, at midnight -- my deadline -- I filed the story with what I had and literally 5 minutes later, I got the totals I needed, so I sent those.

The problem is just because your story's filed, you're still all geeked up and it takes a while to relax.

In other words, you're tired, but your brain hasn't shut down yet. So I read -- for a LONG time until my eyes finally started closing.

The dogs let me sleep until 7:30 a.m. this morning, none of the candidates called me early this morning to wake me up, and after a couple cups of coffee, I was back at it and going strong.

In fact, I wrote and filed seven stories. I surprised myself.

So, unlike last night, I'll be relaxing in the LaZBoy -- something I haven't done in many nights.

Recharging my body for back-to-back meetings Thursday -- first of the Road Commission and then, my favorite, of the Ann Arbor City Council.

I'm taking bets on the time I might get home -- any takers?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]