Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 28 - Lisa's Musings (on judging a chocolate chip creation contest) and Every Day Life


















I may never eat chocolate again.

Today, Peggy Haines and I were judges for the 4-H Youth Show Creative Chocolate Chip Contest.

Last year, when I suggested the idea, it seemed like a good one. But after taste testing 16 delicious chocolate chip creations made by Washtenaw County 4-H members, I've had my fill of chocolate.


Maybe for life.

Truth be told, I'm not a choc-o-holic and if someone told me I could never have another piece of chocolate for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with it.

Unlike Peggy who admitted she was a huge chocolate fan.

Me, I'd much rather have a mint.

But I must say this group of 4-Hers out did themselves. I tried chocolate chip pancakes for the first time. I had chocolate chip PB and J made with raspberry jam. There was zucchini and pumpkin bread with those delicious chips adding a tasty zest.

Both Peggy and I were blown away by the creativity of using chocolate chips to make a hedgehog cake.

The biggest surprise, however, was only one youth made the obvious -- chocolate chip cookies. There were bars and cakes, truffles and ice cream. Sixteen different concoctions in all.

And, apparently, there's an art to judging a contest comprised of sweets. Small tastes.

Something I failed to realize until it was too late.

So by the time I got to the last entry, eating another chocolate bite was a matter of mind over stuffed tummy.

But when I heard the child who made that last entry say to his friend, the judges will taste mine next, I was reminded of the importance of putting on a happy face.

And while I finish digesting this year's recipes, I'm already looking forward to next year.

Looks like it'll be sandwiches. Hold the mayo, please.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]