Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, June 3, 2010

June 3 - Lisa's Musings (On the Westside Farmer's Market) and Every Day Life











The Westside Farmer’s Market opened today. Yippee!

For those of you who like an intimate setting with free parking close by and a chance to really chat with the farmers and vendors at a small, but fun market, you must check it out.

It’s open Thursdays from 3-7 p.m. through Sept. 30 in the Zingerman’s Roadhouse parking lot – at the corner of Jackson and Maple roads, and I’m telling you, this is THE place to go.

Did I mention FREE parking , CLOSE BY?

And surprise, surprise, included among the 25 vendors today was MY FAVORITE bread company – Stone Hearth Breads and Bakery from Brooklyn.

I probably shouldn’t tell you about this bread (Sorry, Adam), but this bread is to die for – the wheat bread is seriously my favorite thing in the entire world.

First introduced to it at the Chelsea Farmer’s Market, I literally went there almost every week last year to buy a loaf.

Seriously.

And when the last week of the market came to a close, I bought two loaves, sliced it up, put it in the freezer, and rationed it all winter – one delicious toasted slice with butter, sometimes jam, at a time.

Until it was gone.

Every once in a while I’d find it at Polly’s and (you can ask my friend Nancy) when I did, I’m pick up a loaf, pet it like a mink coat, talk to it, and coo … embarrassing the hell out her.

If it’s not painfully obvious, I am seriously addicted to this bread.

But there are lots of other flavors available – some sweet, like cherry walnut or apple cinnamon, then there’s an Italian, rye, rosemary herb, tomato basil, four-cheese pepperoni rolls … LOTS of other flavors.

And, I suggest you try all of those because I’m sure they are just as good as the wheat variety. All are made from scratch without preservatives and each loaf is shaped by hand and baked on a stone hearth in a steam-injected oven. Plus, all the ingredients are one's your grandmother would recognize.

So, by all means, support Stone Hearth Breads, but Hand’s OFF my wheat bread, my friends.

Or there will be consequences.

Serious consequences.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]