Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25 - Lisa's Musings (on cats and dogs) and From Every Day Life

If the cat vs. dog or dog vs. cat debate centers on numbers, cats rule and dogs drool.

According to stats from the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association, there are 93.6 million cat owners and 77.5 million dog owners in the U.S.

However, if the percentage of U.S. households that own a cat or a dog is considered the deciding factor, then give a bark out to canines.

Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog, while 33 percent of U.S. household (or 38.2 million) own at least one cat.

Also according to the stats, 67 percent of Americans own one dog, while 24 percent own two dogs and 9 percent own three or more dogs.

Woof. Woof.

Fifty-six percent of cat owners have more than one cat and on average, owners have two cats. On average, dog owners have two dogs. Humm, guess that makes me average.

However, bone/catnip 'mate' there.

I'm not quite sure what to think about these 2009-2010 numbers because I'm a house divided. A good portion of my income comes from being the editor of I Love Cats magazine, so I'm all about cat lovers owning cats and buying my magazine to learn more about their felines.

On the other hand, my heart belongs to my pups, my canine pals, which, come to think about it, don't bring in any cash, rather add to the expense side of the ledger.

But what they cost me in food, toys, vet bills and show fees, they more than make up for in love, amusement, exercise, and stress relief.

Dogs (and cats) are king.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]