Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, May 30, 2010

May 30 - Lisa's Musings (on The Backyard Classic) and Every Day Life

I’m back. Relaxed. Rested. Refreshed. And ready to take on Memorial Day festivities in Ann Arbor tomorrow. Rain or shine.

And, I’m sure that you’ve been frequently checking to see how little Driver did at the Backyard Classic in Bloomington, IL. (Smile)

Well, Driver did exactly what I’d hoped he’d do. He showed his red furry little guts out. Tail a-waggin. He showed better than he’s ever shown before, and I can’t tell you how proud I am of him. He never put a foot in the wrong spot.

He stood like a statue for the male judge -- after melting into male oblivion the first time he met a male judge of the species in the ring. I admit, I was a wee bit concerned about what he might do.

Unfortunately, the judges weren’t as impressed by him as I was. He finished second out of two in his class the first day and third out of four (beating the one dog that had beat him the day before) in his class in the big show.

Was I disappointed? Nope. I had no expectations, and I pretty much figured we’d get beaten. Driver’s a young male and has maturing to do. I know that conformation shows are a beauty contest based on a standard of perfection for the breed; but there’s a lot of subjectivity involved as well.

We experienced it in UKC, and we’ll see it in AKC, as well, and that’s all part of the game. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. In this case the eye of the judge.

Picking a winner is not an easy decision for the judge. And I understand that. Each judge comes into the ring with a preference for something. Some judges weigh how a dog moves more heavily than how it looks standing still. Others like a dog that looks pretty standing still and how it moves is secondary.

You pay your money and you take your chances.

And, if you’re a smart exhibitor, you keep a running list of which judges like your particular dog, and which ones don’t.

So, suffice it to say, I have my first two names on the Do Not Show To Again List.

Yet, despite the dismal show ring results, we had a great time. And both Driver and I had a chance to meet his very handsome daddy named Rev or more formally, Javahill’s I’m a B’Liever, and his delightful owner Donna LaHaise.

It was a great few days of vacation during which I turned off everything that reminded me of “the real world.” I didn’t read a newspaper, nor look at a newspaper headline.

I didn’t listen to the radio or watch the news. I didn’t bring my laptop and I didn’t make or take a single phone call.

For three and a half whole days.

Life went on, the news happened, and someone else covered it.

Now I need to think about answering the exactly 293 e-mails that arrived in my in boxes while I was gone.

Vacation's over and I thank Michelle for posting my blog for me while I was gone.

It's always good to be back home again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]