Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Monday, January 25, 2010

Lisa's Musings (from the Farm Bureau meeting) and Every Day Life












I passed up a fun opportunity today because I chickened out at the last minute.

Now, anyone who knows me well, knows that when I get an idea I like, it takes a lot of convincing to change my mind.

And, in retrospect, I wish I'd gone with my gut this morning and just done it.

Some of you probably know that I was chosen as the 2009 Washtenaw County Farm Bureau Ag Communicator of the Year and I was surprised with not only a lovely plaque, but also a CROWN.

AND a sash.

I have a whole year of my reign and this morning I decided to proudly wear my crown and sash to the Farm Bureau's legislative breakfast this morning.

I put them on and drove to The Grand Traverse Pie Company poised to make a grand entrance at the meeting.

In the parking lot, I changed my mind.

I thought people in the restaurant might, well, look at me funny if I wore my tiara -- even though I'm very proud of it.

And I thought people might think it was stupid that I wore it.

So I didn't.

And I'm really regretting it.

Especially when several farmers at the meeting asked me where my tiara was. They'd been at the awards meeting when I was knocked for a loop by my surprise gifts.

So I spent the afternoon brooding about what could have been.

I know it would have put smiles on the faces of everyone there.

On a gloomy winter Monday morning.

And, besides, it's so ME; I'm just kicking myself.

How often does an almost 52-year-old woman have the opportunity to wear a crown?

I cover story after story and see the current Miss Washtenaw wearing her crown or sash. I'm just as worthy.

Besides, I could care less what a bunch of politicians and would-be politicians think about me.

I'm the press. They need to impress me. Not the other way around. Besides, the ones I knew who were there would have appreciated it. After all these years, they know me well enough to laugh along with me -- instead of at me.

But, what I think it came down to was I didn't want to embarrass the farming community. A group of people I profoundly respect and who thought enough of me and the stories I've written about them to name me their Ag Communicator of the Year.

But, the year is young and there will be other opportunities -- maybe when I attend the Farm Bureau's kickoff membership meeting on Feb. 2 at 7 p.m. at the Farm Council Grounds.

Yeah, that's it.

I'll proudly wear it there, in a happy return to the place where it was first placed on my head.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for being there this morning Lisa. Long may you reign!

January 25, 2010 at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]