Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, May 14, 2010

May 14 - Lisa's Musings (on walk-a-thons) and Every Day Life
















I'm so jealous of students, parents, friends and supporters of Haisley Elementary School.

They spent the day participating in the school's annual walk-a-thon today collecting pledges that will benefit programs at the school as well as other charities they've supported throughout the year.

They had perfect weather and by all accounts, they had great fun.

Unlike the last walk I entered. It was at Domino's Farms in the winter and I took a dog with me. Her name was Whitney and she was an Australian Shepherd. In fact, she was a puppy I kept from the one litter I on which I was listed as the breeder.

Whitney was a beautiful girl. As beautiful as she was lazy.

I know, lazy and Australian Shepherd, don't belong in the same sentence, but believe me -- her idea of a good time was hanging out on the couch and eating bon-bons. Moving anywhere quickly was not part of her idea of fun.

But, I decided she should go on this walk with me just because. She was not of the same opinion.

We started out OK for about a 1/4-mile and then she decided she'd had enough and laid down. And was done.

Really done. As in wouldn't move any more. No matter what I did.

So I ended up dragging her ... literally, and after a few feet, she finally decided to move. Very very slowly, stopping every few steps for the entire rest of the "walk."

I thought we'd never finish, but we did -- long after everyone else.

And I can tell you, I was not smiling like the Haisley "Family" was today as they walked or ran, lap after lap, enjoying a beautiful day, getting lots of exercise, and supporting a good cause.

Humm ... I bet Driver might like to give one of these walks for a cause events a try.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]