Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, May 9, 2010

April 9 - Lisa's Musings (on Mother's Day) and Every Day Life

My mom died when I was 15, so it's been a long time since I've even thought about celebrating Mother's Day.

Other than as a date to put out the hummingbird feeders.

You see, about this time each year my hummers arrive, and they know right where the feeder hangs.

And, if its not there and filled, you can see the disappointment in their little hummingbird eyes.

As they whoosh around looking for it.

But it was pretty cool today, so I've decided to wait to put out a full one this year -- until it gets a little warmer.

Because if the hummers don't eat it, the ants and other bees do, so I'd like to hold off dealing with these insect interlopers for as long as possible.

But I promise, as soon as I see one zipping around, I have a surprise for these amazing little birds.

I bought them a new feeder -- on sale -- at the end of last year, so I'm kinda excited to see what they think.

I hope they like it.

Call it my Mother's Day gift to hummingbirds everywhere.

I also did something else a little different for Mother's Day this year. Both my furry four-legged "children" went to the dog show today.

Ryan, Driver's older brother, who usually likes to hang out on a La Z Boy at home, hopped in the van this morning and insisted on going to the dog show with Driver and I.

So, Ryan and I did something special. We went for a long walk around the Wayne County Fairgrounds where the dog show was being held.

And I thought about my mom, Patricia Anne (Brownley) Allmendinger.

So to all the mom's reading this today -- Happy Mother's Day.

And Mom, I hope Dad did something cool for you today up in Heaven.

I love you both very much.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]