Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Monday, April 5, 2010

April 5 - Lisa's Musings (on This and That) and Every Day Life

It's an Ann Arbor City Council night, which means a long ass night for me.

There's an 8-page agenda, and if I had to guess, a good number of those items will be postponed, but not without a long debate, this IS the Ann Arbor City Council we're taking about here.

And, chances are, those items will be the ones about which I'd planned to do stories.

And the stuff that none of my readers care much about -- that's the stuff that comes first and the items that will drag on and on and on.

It never fails.

But I'm reading a pretty good book, and I'll bring it so I can pass the time doing something productive. Then try to read it without looking like I'm reading it.

Truth be told, if I knew ahead of time which items the city council would take action on -- and by that I mean NOT postponing them -- and which ones they wouldn't, I'd probably skip half the meetings.

But, I can never predict what might show up on the agenda at the last minute -- after I've already left for the meeting, of course. Or, what will cause a buzz and what won't, I'll be heading to Ann Arbor tonight.

It will be a lovely drive and I'll try not to think about missing "Dancing With the Stars" and "Castle." Grrr.

That said, I learned five interesting things from the Old Farmer's Almanac calendar today.

Did you know that:

1. Removing all unnecessary items from your car reduces the weight and increases your gas mileage? With gas prices going up again this is a cool tip.

2. Tuesday is a last quarter moon.

3. An earthworm can aerate about a 1/2 a pound of soil per day. Now, that's a busy bug.

4. If you want a light consistency when making a cake, be sure to cream the butter and sugar thoroughly.

5. And my favorite -- because I am directionally challenged and I've adapted T. Morris Longstreth's words for me: "Of course I'm not lost. I was merely where I shouldn't have been without knowing where that was."

(What he wrote was "Of course we weren't lost. We were merely where we shouldn't have been without knowing where that was.")

Unfortunately, I've been to plenty of Ann Arbor City Council meetings so I can't say I got lost and missed it.

But, I won't miss the last quarter moon Tuesday night and I'll leave the earthworms alone to their digging next time I'm doing some digging of my own.

And, I'll bet that my next cake will be lighter than ever before, so, for a Monday, what more can you ask for?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know Biology isn't your strongest point, but earthworms aren't usually considered bugs...they lack exoskeletons... :)

April 6, 2010 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Lisa A said...

Biological details ... worms, lady bugs, flies, those icky spiders and and other things that go crunch or squish in the night. They're all bugs to me. But, point taken.

April 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]