Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, April 2, 2010

April 2 - Lisa's Musings (about Face Book pages) and Every Day Life

Apparently, I missed an important birthday yesterday.

Or, at least that's what the Facebook page "Glenn E. "Bo" Schembechler -- The Consummate Wolverine" says.

The page had 1,626 members as of this morning, but I only joined a few days ago, so I'm not sure where I stand in the mix, and I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the page's updates, so I missed adding my cyber birthday wishes.

I'll make a note for next year.

Actually, I get a lot of page requests -- this social media thing is like kudzu.

Some page or cause requests I accept; others I ignore.

And some I've been known to join by accident because I wasn't paying attention -- like Florida Bartenders. After I accepted, I couldn't figure out how to un-accept, and it grabbed the attention of some of my Facebook "friends."

They wanted to know if I was planning a mid-life change of careers.

It's always good to have a Plan B, don't you think?

Hard as I try, all these new things, especially social media things, are confusing.

There seems to be a Facebook Page for just about everything these days from photos of Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers to Michigan sports to, well, you name it.

If I wanted to, I could probably spend a week sifting through all the Facebook Pages out there in cyberspace.

Or is it Googleland?

I guess anyone can start a Facebook Page about anything.

I got a request for a page for classy ladies who like to say f***. I didn't join, but I know which of my Facebook Friends did.

I thought about it, really I did.

By my publisher is on Facebook, and we're friends. Facebook keeps track of these things and let's all of your friends know if you've friended someone or become a fan of a page or a cause.

I'm not so sure my publisher would have been amused.

I'd start a Facebook Page for my two dogs, but then I'd have to figure out how to do yet another new thing.

And quite frankly, my brain is full -- when it comes to learning new things right now.

Especially after spending hours re-editing a video. Five times if I counted correctly, before the video was small enough to be uploaded to the A2 Journal site.

You can ask my editor about my frustration level because I called her and told her: And I quote, "As my editor, you've earned the honor of hearing me bitch about ..." but she's a really good sport about this kind of stuff.

She reminded me that it would get easier the more I do it.

Yeah, right ... it's been how many weeks now and STILL the video part of this new social media stuff is kicking my butt.

But I have a plan.

In addition to reading "What Would Google Do?" I have another book titled, "Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard."

I plan to sprawl out on the couch on my three-season porch in a few minutes with a fresh cup of coffee, enjoy the weather and start reading.

Change is good, right?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Agree! Seems facebook pages, friends and causes are like belly-buttons: Everyone has one!!

April 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]