Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3 - Lisa's Musings (on the three-season porch) and Every Day Life




The three-season porch is my favorite room in this house.

It's not fancy, but it does have overhead lights so once the weather breaks, I can head out there and flop on the coach and chill -- day or night.

It has a ceiling fan, too, so if it gets stuffy outside, I can flip a switch and have a nice breeze overhead.

The former owner of this house thought of everything when it came to this room.

In fact, I've even "camped out" there overnight a few times. Just for fun.

The three-season porch is a space where once I cross the threshold, my whole body immediately relaxes.

I can suck in the fresh air and gaze out across my kingdom and remind myself of why I work as hard as I do. To own this house on this wonderful property.

So, when the temperatures begin to rise, you can usually find me sitting out there, cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee in hand, reading, clearing my mind, watching the deer herd or the ground hogs.

It's that kind of space.

Friday, I swept the floor, got rid of the cobwebs, sucked up a ton of those biting Lady Bug impersonators in the dust buster (and took them outside to be free), and gave the room it's annual spring cleaning.

Trashed were last year's hanging baskets, which had nothing but dirt and dead twigs.

I brought out a colorful comforter to cover the couch, and then read for a few hours.

Today, I hit the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market and bought the first of the new flowers that will add color to my special place, and put a smile on my face each time to head out there.

Looks pretty cool, huh?

But I'm not the only one who likes this room. The dogs like nothing better than hanging out in it with me, sometimes barking at the deer and squirrels and keeping watch over their domain.

In fact, now that I've started going out there again, the annual spring morning routine has resumed.

As soon as Ryan's finished his breakfast, he scratches at the three-season porch doors so I'll open them up and he can take his morning nap outside.

I've had people ask me why I don't take my laptop out there and work, but it's not that sort of space.

It's my "Lisa Cave."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]