Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, February 14, 2010

Feb. 14 - Lisa's Musings (on Valentine's Day) and Every Day Life

Valentine's Day.

I've got my flowers and my chocolate; the Daytona 500 and The Olympics on TV.

What could be more perfect for a single (and not seeing anyone) someone on the one day a year when everyone's thinking in terms of couples, hearts and love?

Usually, I try to ignore Valentine's Day, but this year, I decided to embrace it and make it my own.

With flowers and chocolate and sports on TV.

None of which have any strings attached.

I have yellow and red tulips and the third wave of flower stalks on my amaryllis is in full bloom.

I had yummy leftovers from my Lisa and Betty project and the other half of the single serving chocolate mousse I bought the other day.

Even my cousin, AJ Allmendinger, brought a smile to my face when he led The Daytona 500 for a few laps. He led the Daytona 500, the grand daddy of NASCAR races ... how cool is that?

Valentine's Day also means it's exactly one week before I'll turn 52 and I've been doing a lot of thinking about this even-year birthday.

Like Jan. 1, adding another year to one's life is a time of celebration, reflection and excitement about what's ahead.

When you can add watching the Winter Olympics to the mix, it makes this time of year even more special.

I mean, come on, these winter Olympic athletes are just amazing -- a little nuts, perhaps -- but such fun to watch.

When else can you watch athletes from around the world come together and fly off the end of ski jumps? Or skate really, really fast around in circles. Or zoom down hills on skis trying to get as close to flags as possible.

The Olympics are a special time when everyone can feel pride in their country -- win or lose -- and, I suppose, wonder what motivates these athletes to participate in sports that take place in the cold and snow.

So while most people are hoping this month ends soon -- because it means spring's a little closer -- I'm not one of them.

Personally, I like snow and cold and I always wish for it on my birthday so I can go out and play in it.

I want to relish all the days of February, the year's shortest month -- including the 14th.

So on this Valentine's Day, I'm definitely feeling the love.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]