Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, February 7, 2010

Feb. 7 - Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

It's Super Bowl Sunday, I think it's No. 44, and I'm not ashamed to say I don't care who wins tonight.

This, coming from someone who's covered two Super Bowls in my former life as a sportswriter.

Truth be told, I didn't much care who won those games, either, because I wasn't being paid to be a fan, I was being paid to cover stuff surrounding "The Game."

And I didn't have any money on the winner.

I wrote about the parties and the player's wives and hoopla surrounding "The Game." Yeah, I did a few color stories about "The Game," but I was one of the secondary reporters, not the main one, so I got to cover "the other stuff," which was fine by me.

It was cool covering the Super Bowl, but it's a media circus, or at least it used to be -- in the old days, when there were lots of newspapers and media outlets sending lots of reporters and photographers and cameramen to cover "The Game."

What I remember most was the parade on the streets below my hotel room for the San Francisco 49ers and the energy of the fans who were so excited that their team had won, beating the Dolphins that year, by the way.

I also remember how mad I was when I got back from said parade to find that someone had swiped a large cross-stitch piece that I'd JUST finished before heading down to cover that parade.

It had a winter scene on it, with all sorts of birds and snow and tree branches and I'd spent months and months working on it. Somehow the $100 they refunded from my hotel bill didn't cover all the time I'd spent working on it.

But I digress.

It's Super Bowl Sunday and I'm sure there are U of M players on both teams so, it doesn't much matter to me who wins.

However, the same can't be said for next weekend when the Winter Olympics begins.

Next weekend, I become a super sports fan -- rooting for every athlete wearing the red, white and blue of the U-S-A.

Next Sunday is also the Daytona 500, but that's a topic for a future blog.

So here's to Super Bowl Sunday, and all those fun, extremely expensive commercials -- something I didn't get to watch when I was actually covering "The Game."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]