Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Feb. 2, Lisa's Musings (About Groundhog Day) and Every Day Life

Call me what you will, but I like Groundhog Day.

Not so much for the outcome of Punxsutawney Phil’s prediction; but because where else could a silly looking critter like a groundhog get his (or her) own day?

And, it’s not a Hallmark Holiday. Or, at least I don’t think so.

And, where else but in Pennsylvania would there be The Inner Circle of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club?

Ya just gotta love it.

Besides, I have my own resident groundhogs. They live under the shed that houses all of my agility equipment.

And, despite what people say about their destructive nature, I think they’re kinda cute.

I don’t feed them or anything. It’s up to them to figure out how to survive. But every now and then I see them cavorting across the back of my property and I smile.

They don’t so much run, rather lumber. Kinda. Sorta.

It’s an odd gait, actually. And the little guys and gals are too cute for words.

And I do see them along the side of the road a lot out here, too. Usually in live, living breathing form.

Groundhogs, I think, must be smarter than other critters of their ilk – at least when it comes to playing tag with motorized vehicles.

Although I did see one take on a bicyclist in Lodi Township. The bicyclist never had a chance.

Score one for groundhogs everywhere.

I rarely see a squished groundhog on the road. Maybe because there aren’t as many of them around as say possum or raccoon or rabbit squirrel or chipmunk.

But when you have a day named after you, perhaps there’s a genetic royalty link involved in your heritage.

So, for all of you that missed seeing the film clips of the big ceremony at Gobbler’s Knob, six more weeks of winter, here we come.

I wonder if my groundhogs know this.

My groundhogs seem to be smart enough to continue hibernating at least until it gets a little warmer.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]