Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, August 29, 2010

Aug. 29 - Lisa's Musings (on hummingbirds) and Every Day Life

As a reporter, it's a good bet that I learn something new almost every day. Sometimes it's useful knowledge; other times not so much.

Today, I learned that I probably do not have a future as a nature photographer -- if that "natural" subject has to cooperate for it to work. Trees, flowers, even bees, I can handle them, but hummingbirds, well here's what happened.

After a nice chat with two nature photographers at the Sunday Artisan's Market today, I decided I wanted to shoot some photos of "my" hummingbirds. You know, the ones I provide food to at least twice a week. On my dime. The ones that are always eating and hovering at the new feeder I bought for them this year.

The ones I stand in the living room and watch all the time.

Those hummingbirds.

So, inspired by the professional photographers I met today, I decided to take the camera, a cup of coffee and a book out to the front porch for some quiet time with nature.

I positioned myself at the perfect angle to the feeder to snap away for pretty blog photos. And I waited and I waited and I waited.

Engrossed in my book, one hummer came calling. She took one look at me, hovered for the time it took me to realize there was a hummingbird at the feeder and flew off. Missed opportunity number one.

So, I quietly sat there, camera poised, listening to the birds, and my dogs periodically bark at the deer on the far side of the house that I couldn't see. I'm not even sure how long I sat there, but long enough for my arms to get tired holding the camera in that position. So, I rested it on my legs and listened intently for that distinct hummer fluttering sound.

And voila -- there she was again. But before I could lift up my camera, she was gone.

Missed opportunity No. 2.

So, I waited some more ... long enough to surprise a chipmunk that came around the corner. I'm not sure who was more scared -- the chipper or me because we both jumped.

More waiting. More barking. More bees at the feeder, but no hummers. I was probably out there for two hours.

Since the lovely light I'd had was gone, I gave up and went inside, and as I turned to close the front door, there she was, feeding away.

And I think I detected a hummingbird sneer.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]