Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Aug. 25 - Lisa's Musings (on hangin' w/the band) and Every Day Life











I got up early this morning to see the Michigan Marching Band practice at Elbel Field.

Little did I know I'd have the opportunity to spend two hours with Scott Boerma, director of the marching and athletic bands.

I spoke to the director of the greatest band in the land for TWO HOURS. This was big.

I've said it before but some days as a reporter are really, really amazing. And this was one of them. I'm almost afraid to write the story because I want it to be so good because what I learned was so interesting.

And I can tell you that Boerma was also one of the nicest people I've met in ages, graciously answering all of my questions, and giving me a whole new perspective on what it takes to orchestrate those amazing pregame, halftime and post-game shows.

I had NO idea.

I watched the newbies -- the freshman -- about 180 of them, learn the fundamentals of both traditional step and high step. And I can promise you, these kids will be tired and sore tonight.

Every little detail must be performed with military precision from the way an instrument is held to each step taken.

My legs hurt just watching them learn the prefect foot placement and leg angles for that high step, which delights fans at home games.

I have a totally new perspective and respect for just how hard the band members work for that chance to march on the field in The Big House. And what good shape they must be in to make it through all those routines.

Sure, I had an idea, but OMG, they work as hard as the football team.

I don't want to give away too much or use all of my really cool photos because I want to save the good stuff for my story in next week's paper but suffice it to say today was one terrific Go Blue - Go Band Day.

I can't wait to tell you the story.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]