Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 22 - Lisa's Musings (on fawns) and every day life

I thought this would be the first year that I didn't have a fawn (or three) born on my property. I hadn't seen any and I'd gone out to the usual birthing area to check a half dozen or so times.

Then Saturday afternoon when I was out mowing, I spooked one.

So, Lisa's baby deer refuge streak is still alive.

And just now, I watched the little one practice running -- in this case laps around a grove of autumn olive in the middle of the back of my property.

It's such a cute little snot. Racing around figuring out how to turn corners with its tiny legs.

Mom just strolled by -- so perhaps she told the little one to go get a little exercise. Not sure.

But that little fawn was sure having fun. Like a little child running around ... just because.

I love seeing these little fawns -- until they grow up and start chewing on stuff. Then they aren't so cute any more. And I admit it, I begin to root for the local hunters. The problem is, these hunters are a picky bunch and they leave the does alone -- hoping that they'll produce more bucks because that's what they really want.

A Trophy Buck with a Big Rack.

But until then, I'll try not to scare the little cutie like I did Saturday. First I spooked it from its napping spot in the tall grass while mowing paths, The little deer bolted for the woods.

I must have gotten too close to its new hiding spot because it blasted past me and headed for the thicket of autumn olive. Problem with that spot was, I kept riding by, and the fawn would look at me with that deer-caught-in-the-headlights look and shake.

I felt kinda bad about it but I was determined to finish mowing the back.

Like the barn swallows, this human trumps small woodland critters.

I pay the mortgage; I've earned the right to mow the lawn.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]