Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, June 18, 2010

June 18 - Lisa's Musings (on honoring veterans) And Every Day Life





















I went to a special tree planting ceremony in Chelsea this morning.

The city planted a weeping cherry at Vet's Park after receiving an Arbor Day minigrant from the Department of Natural Resources. And next spring, it will have pink blossoms.

While there, I looked at the names on the bricks in front of the new veteran's memorial at the park and decided that my father's name should be on one of those bricks.

He has a bench in Allmendinger Park and the family has a brick in The Big House, but I think it would be nice to have something here -- closer to home -- a place he loved to visit.

My dad really liked Chelsea and I think it would be fitting to honor him in the city's Veterans Park.

So tomorrow, en route home from the farmer's market, I plan to stop and really study what other people have done to honor their loved ones. And come up with something special.

Then next week, I'll fill out a form at the city offices, plunk down the $100 for a large brick and have it inscribed.

I'll let you know when it's in place.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]