Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, June 11, 2010

June 11 -- Lisa's Musings (on the weekend) and Every Day Life

I feel like a little kid at Christmas.

This weekend is going to be such fun, and I can't wait any longer.

I've tried to be good, and think about other things, but it's been very hard and now it's almost here.

Saturday, I get to pick out the first items from my half of a half-share of a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) from Our Family Farm of Manchester at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market. Since I knew I wouldn't be able to eat it all, (and might not like ALL the healthy offerings, but I will try them anyway) my friend Nancy and I split a half-share.

For the last few weeks, we've been counting down the days until the first pick-up from Farmer John. I know there will be greens of some sort and radishes and some eggs, but the other items will be a surprise.

And, I'll be setting an alarm because Nancy's planning to get here rather early so we will be one of the first shareholders there to get the best assortment of local produce.

And, that's after a stop at the Chelsea Farmer's Market to pick up strawberries we ordered last week from another local farmer. Last Saturday, we got there too late for his berries and had to buy them from someone else.

Let me tell you -- all strawberries are not created equal. So when you find varieties you like, you want to be sure to get more from the same farmer. The problem is, if they're really good, everyone else wants to do the same thing, so you learn to be creative at getting them, outsmarting everyone else.

And no, I'm not giving away any secrets. I'm not that stupid.

Once I know what I'll be bringing home from the CSA, then I'll plan a menu around it and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Then Sunday ... it will be another early morning because I have tickets to the NASCAR race at MIS. This time, my friend, Becca and I are going.

We'll be heading to Brooklyn bright and early taking the back roads and arriving hours before the race to shop at the souvenir trailers, and the vendors outside the track; the ones with the less expensive stuff that's probably not NASCAR sanctioned, but is fun nonetheless.

And then the race -- that's if the weather cooperates. And right now, it's really, really iffy. My cousin, AJ Allmendinger, is a NASCAR driver. And he's had his ups and downs at this track, but I'll be rooting for him.

I'll also be rooting for Tony Stewart, who's my favorite driver and his teammate Ryan Newman, after whom, my dog Ryan is named. (I'd have named one of my dogs after Tony, but my friends wouldn't let me, so, Ryan it is.)

And, I have photos of Ryan and Ryan -- if I can find them, and I'll post them tomorrow. Along with a visual documentation of my local bounty.

So, bring it on -- I'm ready for the weekend.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]