Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 22 - Lisa's Musings (about Dunkin' Donuts) and Every Day Life

CNN Money dotcom had a story on-line today that featured the most popular franchises in America.

Subway, Quiznos, the UPS Store, Diary Queen and Cold Stone Creamery made the list.

Ah, but there was another... Dunkin' Donuts.

I have a serious love affair going on with Dunkin' Donuts. When there was a franchise near the corner of Jackson Road and Stadium, I'd drive there every couple weeks and buy a few bags of Dunkin' Donut regular coffee beans.

I like to grind them myself -- fresh.

But then one day, it disappeared, and I was very, very sad.

The next closest place was in Ypsi and for a while, I'd take a road trip from Chelsea to that store and buy a bunch of bags of regular beans in a pop.

But it was, quite frankly, a pain in the butt to drive that far -- even for my favorite coffee.

So I switched to another brand. But I didn't like it as much, even through it arrived at my doorstep so I didn't have to drive anywhere to get it.

Then one day, quite by accident, I discovered that I could have Dunkin' Donuts beans delivered to my house -- thanks to the nice people at UPS.

That other brand came via the mail and quite frankly, couldn't be counted on to arrive the day is was supposed to.

And I'm sorry friends, but my day must begin with a great cup of coffee and Folgers, and the other brands found in the grocery store, just don't cut it.

And yes, I know, I can now buy Dunkin' Donuts at the grocery store, but I have to tell you -- not only are the packages smaller and more expensive, I haven't been able to find the beans.

I want to grind my beans and smell that delicious smell. It's an aphrodisiac.

So, for the last eight or so years, my favorite coffee has been delivered to my house in a nice little box that's great for storage of other things or to reuse to mail books and such across the country.

I run on Dunkin', America runs on Dunkin', and so do 31 other countries, according to this story. In fact, there are 9,000 Dunkin' Donuts stores around the globe.

(And, yes, I know it's Earth Day today -- and I probably should have written about that, but I mentioned it just now, and since this is my blog, that will just have to suffice.)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]