Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, April 15, 2010

April 15 - Lisa's Musings (on tax day) and Every Day Life

April 15, and I was one of those people today.

Yup, I headed to the Chelsea Post Office this afternoon with my tax forms.

And, I have to say, I was kinda disappointed.

Perhaps I should rewind a bit here -- to get you up to snuff on why I wound up at the post office today, Tax Day, to get that all important April 15 postal stamp on the large manila envelopes.

For starters, I was a little late getting my stuff to my accountant this year. Usually, it's in by the end of February. This year, I didn't get it there until the first week in March.

That happened, after spending an entire weekend adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing numbers, those dreaded horrible things, because I didn't keep my books in shape during the year.

So, as is the norm, with step one complete, and I promptly forget about it until the accountant's office calls with questions

Well, there was a slight glitch this year -- my accountant got sick during the crunch time, so he was late getting everything done.

So it was Saturday, when I got the call, with the annual questions.

And the preliminary bad news on how much I owed.

Yesterday, I picked them up and got the full really bad news.

Which brings me to today ... and my trip to the Chelsea Post Office.

I've heard about and seen the long post office lines on April 15. And I know in the past that some post offices stay open until midnight, the witching hour, for people like me.

Chelsea isn't one of them.

So, I grabbed my envelopes, and headed inside, fully expecting to find others of my last-minute ilk.

There weren't any.

I walked in, and there were three people in front of me -- all mailing regular stuff.

I asked the postal clerk if there had been a lot of people mailing their taxes today, and she said it had been pretty steady, but, nothing all that out of the ordinary.

But, she didn't forget to ask if I wanted other supplies and if there was anything liquid, perishable, yadayadayada in the envelopes.

So, I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Not that I'm complaining, I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]