Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, April 9, 2010

April 9 - Lisa's Musings (on the U-M Spring Football Game) and Every Day Life

I got a reminder about the annual U-M spring football game via e-mail today.

It's next Saturday, by the way, and I'm glad to pass along the details -- but I won't be going.

For the first time in more than 10 years, (minus the year it was moved because of stadium renovations), I've chosen to skip this spring ritual.

And, it's not like I haven't enjoyed going to this fun event.

In fact, last year was the best ever.

Just amazing. There were tons of people there. We were all excited to see the new players for the first time in the flesh, so to speak.

I borrowed a very expensive lens from a friend, and dragged my (camera) baby, a monopole, and assorted other lens with me.

Well, truth be told, I probably didn't lug all this stuff myself. My friend Nancy agreed to go with me, and if my time-honored tradition of not carrying heavy objects myself held true, she probably ended up carrying the lion's share of the heavy stuff.

But I can promise you, I carried my baby.

I was all geeked to shoot real football for the first time, so we got there early and I positioned myself for the best view -- taking into account the sun and angles.

Then managed to miss capturing every single touchdown pass, and there were a LOT of them.

I got great photos of the fans, the flags, the team warming up, individual players and coaches, former players and coaches. I got great photos of just about everything EXCEPT the shots I really wanted -- those great catches in the end zone.

In fact, as I looked through my shots -- time after time -- it got to be a running joke.

And yup, the joke was on me, the former sports reporter.

In a past life, I took pride in being a pretty good football reporter (yes, as a girl!), but apparently, that didn't extend to being a pretty good football action photographer (as an old goat).

I suppose I could go back on April 17 and try again, but to be honest, I just am not all that excited about it this year.

Maybe it's post-dad dying syndrome or something. He and I went to many of the games together.

Or, maybe it's a carry-over from two consecutive years of no bowl games.

But when it came down to making a choice of how to spend April 17, I chose to enter a dog show instead.

I've enjoying showing little Driver and I'm still, of course, chasing a couple more group placements at the UKC shows.

Call them the pre-game shows before we head into the real season -- AKC shows later this spring, summer and fall.

But don't let me stop you from attending the spring game. Stadium gates open at 10 a.m. There's an alumni flag football game at 11 a.m. and the real fun begins at 1 p.m.

Go to www.mgoblue.com for all the details as there's stuff the night before and early in the morning on April 17.

So, have fun and Go Blue!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]