Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20 - Lisa's Musings (on Bok Choy and) Every Day Life



First day of spring.

First taste of Kombucha Tea.

First taste of Bok Choy.

If you've never tried Kombucha Tea, it's pretty tasty. I tried two varieties from Unity Vibration Living Kombucha Tea -- blackberry grape and pineapple ginger.

Any guesses which was my favorite?

Trying Bok Choy was Farmer John's idea after I purchased a half share in a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) from Our Family Farm.

He's all in on my pledge to eat more green stuff this year.

So, Bok Choy and I had our first dinner date.

The leafy green stuff was a side dish to the chicken and stuffing I made.

It was stir fried in olive oil -- leaves first, then the stems with some salt and pepper.

And, I doctored it up a little more with some grated Parmesan cheese because I can eat just about anything if it has cheese on it.

I must say I was more fond of the stems than I was the leafy part, but I ate most of it. (And didn't hold my nose.)

Which is pretty good for me since about the only greens I regularly eat is Iceberg lettuce.

But I figure with time all green leafy things will become acquired tastes.

I can't remember for certain, but I doubt that I liked Roquefort cheese the first time I ate it, either.

Today, however, it's one of my favorite cheeses so ... there's hope for my green future.

In fact, I spent quite a bit of time at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market today in my first attempt at not just interviewing vendors and taking photos but also of taking videos.

I want to send a HUGE thank you to Rachel and Tarek Kanaan of Unity Vibration Living Kombucha Tea, Andrew Okla of Cafe Japon, Julie Rabinovitz of Tasty Bakery, Dolores Gracia of Gracia's Greenhouse, and Penny Snow of Snows Sugarbush, who were willing to let me practice my new skill.

Your patience with me -- as a bumbled through shooting video today -- was much appreciated.

And, all this green stuff --it'll become part of the Lisa and Betty Project, which I put on a temporary hold until there is a greater variety of local fruits and veggies from which to choose.

Even though I'm going green this spring, I still bleed Maize and Blue.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]