Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, March 18, 2010

March 18 - -Lisa's Musings (on a star) and Every Day Life



I always wanted my own star.

But not one on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

I can't sing, I'm not a very good dancer and I've never had a yearning to become an actress.

What I am is a journalist. And apparently, on more days than not, a pretty good one.

So, after reading a story about stars for sale, I always thought it might be fun to say I owned one. Somewhere out in the universe.

But what happens if you buy one but it's a shooting star -- here today and gone tomorrow?

And, how would you know? There are a gazillion out there.

Besides, even if you bought one, and spent all that money -- I hear they're expensive, but I've not done any comparison shopping -- I'm not sure how you'd know it was your star, anyway.

Unless you had all kinds of astronomy equipment to pinpoint it's coordinates.

Or something.

Then again, maybe Google has some sort of celestial map, since it seems to have maps for everything.

I mean, it's not like you could sit outside in the front lawn and know for certain that the star you're pointing up at is actually yours.

My star has my name etched on it, so there's no mistaking it, and I can point to it at anytime.

Not just at night, or really, really early in the morning.

It was personally given to me today by Jim Williams, president and publisher of Heritage Newspapers, Inc., of which A2 Journal is a part.

And I was nominated by my editor, Michelle Rogers, who said all kinds of really nice things about the job I was doing at the newspaper.

In the last six months, I've won some very cool awards.

But that's not why I do what I do.

I love being a reporter and every day I wake up and smile because I'm still a part of a business to which I've devoted most of my life.

It's funny how life works -- about a year ago, I didn't know if I'd have the opportunity to continue my 30-year love affair with newspaper journalism.

But today, I have a crown and sash from the Washtenaw County Farm Bureau, and now, my very own star.

Did I mention I also got a gift card today?

So, forget Disneyland -- I'm headed to Meijer for a local shopping spree where I will support as many Michigan companies and farmers as possible.

And the best part?

I get to write about it, too.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]