Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feb. 16 - Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

I'm going to apologize in this post from the get-go -- because it's going to disappoint people in the future.

Not today or tomorrow, although it's entirely possible this might happen, too; but this decision will definitely disappoint some people in the future.

No, I'm not planning to stop writing this blog or for the Heritage papers, but I am going to cut back on the number of hours I spend doing it each week.

I have to, because I'm the only one who CAN put a stop to this madness.

Although it's a decision that's taken me a long time to make; it's one I need to make.

For me.

For my health and for my mental sanity.

But more importantly, I need to do this to improve the quality of the stories that I write for A2 Journal and for all of the Heritage papers.

I can not longer be the reporter who can't say No.

Or, the reporter who can't say No and not feel guilty about it.

I won't disclose how many hours I spend a week working on stories, but I will say that I choose to spend as many hours as I do reporting each week because I love what I do.

Not because anyone tells me to.

But because I can't help myself, and because I don't want to let down my readers when they ask me to cover something.

Since June,(and if you recall, on the day my dad died,) I've pushed myself week after week, weekend after weekend, day after day to do more, more, more, more.

To make the A2 Journal the best newspaper I can make it be.

And, that won't change.

But, what will change is the number of hours I work each week to accomplish this goal.

I'm soon to be 52 years old, and I've been doing this for 30 wonderful years -- but it's time to back down the hours I work and ramp up the hours I spend doing things just for me.

I need to put some balance back into my life.

All work and no play and all that.

I've earned this time to do those things I want to do -- those things I've been putting off because I'm so busy working.

It's my birthday gift to me, and I intend to enjoy it.

No matter how tempted I am to go back to my old ways.

I know this will disappoint some people -- the ones who enjoy having me show up to cover all the stories I do each week.

It might mean that when I do arrive at an event or go out to report a story, it won't appear until the following week because I just ran out of time to write it.

And, it might mean that I just have to say No to covering something -- no matter how much I'd like to be there.

So, I'm saying I'm sorry in advance.

I promise to do what I can, and hope that you'll understand when I can't.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I know I'm not alone when I say that I support your decision 100+%. It's so important -- and a life lesson for us all: Knowing our limits and when to say "no" (thank you). Burnout is a real phenomenon, and those of us who appreciate all you do understand that maintaining a healthy balance between work and "play" is essential to our physical and mental well being. It's a great birthday present to give yourself!

February 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]