Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Friday, July 16, 2010

July 16 - Lisa's Musings (on facing down digital first) and Every Day Life

It's a rare occasion that I can say I'm a virgin at something.

But that was the case with posting my stories to the A2 Journal's Web site. I've had the ability to do it for months and months but between learning how to blog, video, Facebook and Twitter, my brain was full when it came to learning new things. So I put it off for as long as I could.

Although I teach people that a dog is never too young or to old to learn something, it's just with the old dogs, it takes them longer than a puppy to figure them out.

Such was the case Wednesday night when all the reporters at the Heritage Newspapers came here for a workshop. As the reporter with the most years of experience in the newsroom, I offered to help the newer ones gain some insight into the tricks of the trade.

And at the end of the evening, I reiterated the new mantra of the newspaper company -- Think Digital First. And I challenged them to follow my lead. I vowed to jump off the stagecoach and into a solar car.

So today, while I had some time to figure out how to successfully post my own stories to the newspaper's Web site, I sucked it up, held my nose, and jumped into this murky future of newspapers and journalism.

My first attempt required two people's assistance to get it posted correctly, but I did 90 percent of it myself. The devil, as they say, is in the details. And one little skipped step results in experiencing some technical difficulties.

But after three tries, and an e-mail to my editor asking how to fix it, the story was published.

Woo-hoo!

And since it was fresh in my old goat noggin, I found something else I could post, and on my second try, I did it myself with no glitches.

Without spending an hour to get to that point.

Although there's a bunch of steps to follow, posting a story to the newspaper's website sure beats the heck out of the time I spent figuring out how to upload videos.

Maybe once you start figuring out all these new social media and technology things, they get a little easier and easier each time?

So, if you'd like to be part of this momentous occasion, check out my story at www.A2Journal.com about a contest to choose which farmers' market is the best in the America.

And vote, please.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]