Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Monday, March 1, 2010

March 1- Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

March has come in like a lamb ... or something like that.

It looks really nice outside -- although I've yet in it to see for myself.

Monday's deadline day for Thursday's paper so unless there's a council meeting, or another important meeting, I've learned to stay here and write like the wind -- all the stories that I've put off the previous week that really need to get in this week's paper.

But I will get "the stink off soon" when I navigate the mud that's now my driveway, to get the mail, and again later, when I head to an Ann Arbor City Council meeting where a revised ordinance on cell phone use will be introduced and discussed.

There was supposed to be a public hearing tonight on this proposal, and I was mentally readying myself for a long night with people for and against the proposal eloquently, or not-so-eloquently -- telling the council their thoughts.

But, it's been postponed, so I guess the changes are considered major enough to kick the proposal back for a first reading.

The basic gist is anyone unauthorized to use a cell phone while driving (or riding a bike, this is Ann Arbor, after all) will be fined $125, or $300 if they have an accident while talking on it.

Emergency personnel are excluded, of course.

I'm all for this, of course, because I can't count the near-miss accidents I've lived through thanks to people driving while on their cell phones.

But, as I said, it's been postponed, so the council will need to find other ways to turn what looks like a rather innocuous agenda into a circus tonight.

Which, in my nine-month experience with this council, never fails to happen.

But, in March, hope springs eternal, so maybe there will be a good surprise in store for me tonight.

As I said, March has come in like a lamb, who knows how it will go out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]