Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Saturday, February 20, 2010

Feb. 20 - Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

Instead of cooking from local ingredients today, (I had a bunch of stories to cover and not enough time to come back here and cook) I ate local products instead.

There was a piece of twisted cheese bread from Mill Pond Bread and a cupcake (OK, two cupcakes) from The Cupcake Station.

But, I did do a lot of walking around downtown Ann Arbor (and a lot of standing on a frozen pond at the U of M Golf Course covering a polar plunge) to burn off a few calories I consumed.

After three assignments, I came home to a local ham that had been cooking since this morning. And, sweet corn -- yes, you read correctly -- real, fresh-frozen sweet corn from Schultz Farm of Ypsilanti.

So let me back up a bit.

While at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market this morning, I interviewed Rena Basch of Locavorious, a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) that once a month during November-February brings shareholders their fresh-frozen local produce. Included in February's share were strawberries, peaches, raspberries, blueberries, cauliflower and pumpkin and edamame.

The cool thing was they had a few extras, so when I saw I could purchase corn, peaches and blueberries -- I couldn't resist.

Although a bit pricey -- between $7 and $8 per package -- I was so excited to see real fruit and veggies that didn't come from some foreign country, price wasn't a consideration.

The corn was scrumptious. Cut right off the cob. It was sweet and juicy -- a little taste of summer ... IN FEBRUARY.

So, if you don't think there are terrific treasures to be discovered at the Ann Arbor Farmer's market during the winter -- you're missing out.

Need your knives or scissors sharpened? Gary Toler's your guy.

And, each Saturday, as it gets closer and closer to spring, more and more vendors emerge from hibernation.

Even though there aren't as many vendors in the winter -- those who endure the elements are a terrifically friendly bunch.

Besides, they offer fun things for sale -- not just produce, but jewelry, furniture, and art -- stuff you wouldn't think would be available in the winter.

People in this area are so lucky to have this market open year-round. And although I want all the vendors to sell out each Saturday, I'm kinda glad the crowds are lighter than in the spring, summer and fall.

In the winter, the vendors are all too happy to chat a little longer with patrons -- it's more relaxed and intimate as buyers and sellers brave the elements together.

It's no secret that I'm a big fan of farmer's markets, but I really enjoy them in the winter.

And, I've gotten to know some of the vendors who arrive Saturday after Saturday in the cold weather.

It's a win-win situation. I'm supporting my local farmers and artists and bakers and small business owners and in return, enjoying all of the items that I purchase.

Did I mention the corn?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]