Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dec. 27 - Lisa's Musings on Every Day Life

Last Sunday, I put the preliminary stages of my Great Diet of 2010 into motion.

Officially, this seemingly trite New Year's resolution doesn't begin until, uh, Jan 1, but since I've never dieted before, I thought I'd at least get a preview of what I was getting myself into.

So, a week ago, I started writing down every morsel that crossed my lips, and in doing so, accidentally began my diet. Something about the black and white of listing everything I ate stopped me from my incessant snacking. A habit I had developed without even realizing it.

Before last Sunday, I'd never been a big fan of breakfast, so it would be 1 p.m. or so before I'd eat something, but once I got started eating, I was on a roll. Or more aptly, part of an avalanche.

I'd eat between writing stories.

While writing stories.

While driving.

At meetings.

Pretty much whenever I felt like it. And, apparently, according to my incessantly complaining stomach, I've been doing this for a long time.

Which, in retrospect, is precisely how this extra 20, OK, probably 25 pounds, has been added to my body.

So since last Sunday, even with my stomach growling mercilessly, the guilt factor of writing down a between-meal snack, or 20, overcame the desire to stuff them into my mouth.

So far, anyway.

I've made it into a game. Current grumbling. Am I really hungry or this is my stomach, (so used to having food in it all the time,) trying to trick me into eating submission?

This hungry feeling thing, I've decided, is a mind over food. There is certainly plenty of poundage to prove I am not starving to death by cutting calories.

I've also discovered the importance of eating something for breakfast. Yeah, yeah, I know, eat like a king at breakfast, a queen at lunch and a pauper at dinner. Or something like that.

So as the days have rolled on -- without the extra rations the night before -- let me tell you, I wouldn't make it to 1 p.m. without eating something sooner.

I may be fat, but I'm not stupid.

I also decided that I'd try to eat between 1,000 to 1,400 calories a day, which meant I had to begin reading labels.

Holy Guacamole, Batman ... one lousy piece of whole wheat bread is 120 calories ... I might as well eat white bread ... smile. This calorie-counting thing was quite the eye opener.

To me, at least.

But I LOVE those little 100 calorie packages of stuff. Yeah, I know, it would be cheaper to look at the back of the package, count out a serving and be done with it, but, for now, I'll stick to the single-serving sizes that don't make me think.

When I become more of a pro at this diet thing, I'm sure I'll get the hang of do-it-yourself calorie counting, but until then, I'm good with the nice people who have done some of the work for me.

On the upside of this Great Diet of 2010, everything I put in my mouth is carefully chosen and food has never tasted so good. It's like my taste buds have been reborn.

That toasted slice of wheat bread (I found one that's only 70 calories in the store Saturday) with a little bit of peanut butter on it?

Man, that hit the spot for breakfast this morning; I swear, peanut butter never tasted so good.

So, half the battle is underway; next up, the exercise part to balance the equation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]