Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lisa's Dec. 23 Musings on Every Day Life

Welcome to the newest feature for A2 Journal.

Every day, I'll be posting a new snippet that I hope will provoke thought, amusement and on occasion, a laugh.

Today's installment falls in the 'What Were They Thinking?' category.

The week before Christmas while shopping at an unnamed store in Arborland, I overheard two employees, standing around and leaning on a clothing rack. They were talking rather loudly, so it wasn't like I was eavesdropping.

The gist of their conversation was just how stupid their customers were.

As I stood there trying to decide between several items, with about $100 of merchandise draped across my arms, it got even better. The conversation turned to the company and how moronic they thought their coworkers and bosses were.

Now I realize that working in retail doesn't pay all that well; that shifts worked around Christmas can be brutal.

But with the state of Michigan's economy, I guess they didn't consider themselves lucky to have jobs.

It goes without saying I'm a big fan of First Amendment rights, and that everyone is entitled to their opinions. But, there's a time and a place for everything.

This was neither.

The more I heard, the less I wanted to support a store with such surly employees.

There are lots and lots of stores in Ann Arbor where I can spend my money, so this "stupid" customer rehung the items I'd selected, and walked out of the store without spending a penny.

It was the first, and last time, I'll set foot in that store.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger lmw said...

Erm, it's "eavesdropping".

December 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]