Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, December 24, 2009

Dec. 24 -- Lisa's Musings from Every Day Life

"'Twas the night before Christmas ..."

With apologies to Clement Clarke Moore, who wrote the poem in 1822.

Did you know that prior to the publication of his work in "The New York Sentinel" on Dec. 23, 1823, St. Nicholas had not been associated with a sleigh or reindeer?

Apparently, the popular poem was originally published anonymously, and it was not until 1844 that Moore showed his hand in a book of published poetry.

I wonder if his estate is still getting royalties?

I decided to head out today to pick up copies of the A2 Journal and noted that the roads were rather empty, which immediately got me into the Christmas spirit.

And, since I've never braved any shopping centers on Christmas Eve, I decided this year was as good as any to see for myself.

So I headed to Borders. The one off Ann-Arbor Saline Road. And by golly, it was filled with holiday shoppers. As I suspected, there were lots of men. Some alone. Some with kids. Many with cell phones in hand asking about specific titles.

Since I was happily there for my personal amusement, it was kinda fun watching all that frenetic energy, frequent watch checking and wild-eyed terror as people realized the hours were ticking ever closer to Christmas morning.

In fact, I observed one teen check the time and comment to a friend, "T-minus 10 hours and counting ..."

That's the thing about being a reporter for almost 30 years, although most of your mind is focused on one thing (in this case, trashing my promise not to spend any money at Christmas and choosing not one, but several Christmas gifts for myself), you hear a lot of other conversations going on around you.

(Read my Dec. 23 blog for one instance.)

But I digress...

"'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, except my two Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, hoping to catch mouse."

And, jumping ahead here because I'm certain you can recite most of this popular poem by heart:

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]