Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Monday, March 8, 2010

March 8 - Lisa's Musings From Every Day Life

It's official -- I'm the Queen Majesty of Techno Morons, or maybe it's Techno Moron-ettes.

Not sure.

After a sleepless night with video nightmares running through my head, I finally dragged my body out of bed at 6:30 a.m. and attempted to edit and make my first video.

It was a disaster.

A Titanic, Hindenburg, Mt. Vesuvius disaster.

So, I called in the reinforcements. Namely, my friend, Becca, who can always figure these things out.

And, after four hours, we made one 2 minute video.

Sort of.

It's made and all, but, for some unknown reason, the software I need to be able to send it to my editor -- so she can put it up on the A2 Journal Web site so other people can actually see it -- doesn't seem to want to work.

At least not on my computer.

And, I guess I'm more frustrated about my lack of computer skills than I am about my budding video skills.

Although, at times this evening, I'll admit to being rather, uh, angry, about it, too.

Just ask Becca, who kept reminding me that my long sighs and grumbling wasn't helping matters.

She, bless-her-great-friend-heart, remained upbeat, showed tons of patience, and even spoke to the techno guru at the office for me -- all in an effort to help me get this video made.

Out of the goodness of her heart and our long-time friendship.

We spent hours editing the raw footage, me, repeatedly hitting the wrong arrow, and she calmly reminding me of which one I wanted to click on.

And after all that, no one but Becca and I have seen those cute steer and kids who own them talking proudly about them.

And the second video I shot on Sunday?

There was nothing there worth wasting our time on ... sorry John, but nothing I shot could do justice to the amazing presentation you gave about German soft pretzel making, so readers will just have to read about it Thursday, and look at the photos.

There will be no video.

And although I'm rather down about my debut video turn of events, I won't let some palm-sized video camera and its software beat me.

But Michael Moore, if you're reading this, you've got nothing to worry about from me.

At least not yet.

But look out -- tomorrow's a new day, and there are new stories to cover in print, photography AND video.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]