Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal

Welcome to Inside the Newsroom @ A2 Journal, a blog written by the newspaper's staff at A2 Journal, a new, weekly, community newspaper covering Ann Arbor. This blog is a place for members of the newspaper's staff to write their thoughts, observations, opinions and other informative pieces they put together while covering the rich history, interesting people, institutions and traditions that make Ann Arbor such a unique community.


Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cookbooks, shmookbooks


Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to cooking. I am the type who follows recipes but am slowly becoming more confident in creating my own. With the vast array of foods available, it increases my options even more but it also can be quite confusing. For example, I have millet and lentils and I have no idea what to do with them. I've tried quinoa and that's pretty tasty but with millet, I honestly have no clue.

And not to mention produce, I have never quite figured out how to use eggplant. It sure is pretty to look at but when I cooked with it before, it was, well, not very tasty to say the least. Sure, I love going to farmers markets but once I get home, it can be overwhelming to try and figure out how to use the produce in a week before it all spoils.

So where does everyone find their recipes? Do you have any favorite websites? Cookbooks? Family favorites? Or are you just one of those Rachael Ray types that thinks up recipes, doesn't measure anything and it comes out awesome. If you are, please respond to this post!

Photo by Rene S.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprisingly, websites for the specific food (for example www.artichoke.org) usually have lots of really good information on how to cook that food. I use recipes as suggestions and then modify them to suit our needs with healthier substitutions. Typically a recipe stands as guide, only. Try www.foodwishes.blogspot.com. It's a great blog with fantastic, easy to follow recipes and videos that will get you started cooking and baking!

February 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Amy Bell said...

Great! Thanks for the information!

March 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]